Mount Hotham

Development Approval Requirements

Although the Resort is not part of a municipal district, the requirements for new development or redevelopment of land and buildings are exactly the same insofar as planning permission and building permits are concerned. The only additional consideration is the requirement to obtain the Lessor/Landlord’s consent under the terms of the head lease.

  1. Lessors/Landlords Consent

All leases require the lessor or landlord's permission before commencing any development works to their building.

Contact the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort Management Board before seeking a planning permit on;

P/ 03 5759 3550

F/ 03 5759 3693


PO Box 188

Bright Victoria 3741

  1. Planning Permit

A planning permit is a legal document that gives permission for a use or development on a particular piece of land. To obtain a permit, you must make an application to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP). If the department agrees with the proposal, it may grant a planning permit or a notice of decision, depending upon whether there are objections to the application.

  1. Building Permit

Building permits relate to the method of construction of a building or development. If you have a planning permit you may still need to get a building permit.

A building permit is a document that certifies that the Relevant Building Surveyor has approved the required plans and documentation before your project begins.

A building permit specifies when a Registered Building Surveyor is required to inspect the building works, when an Occupancy Permit is required or when a Certificate of Final Inspection is necessary upon completion of the building works.

The Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006 legislates that building permits must be obtained prior to undertaking work on a building. Building permits are required for the following;

  • Changes to any essential safety measures (ie. exit signs, fire sprinklers, emergency lighting, exit paths etc.)
  • Structural works
  • Building works that project over street alignments
  • Change of use of a building
  • New substation or changes to the size / construction of an existing one
  • Upgraded or new mechanical systems
  • Buildings included on the Heritage Register

Building Surveyor interprets all relevant building legislation and confirms whether a building permit is required for upgrade/ refurbishment works to an existing building. Where a building permit is required, a registered building surveyor can issue a building permit for the proposed works.

Please contact our Municipal Building Surveyor if you require any information on building permits or your own Registered Building Surveyor.

Phil Davern (Alpine Building Permits)

P/ 03 5755 1589


M/ 0428 797 273